Saturday, February 13, 2010

Oh Winter Birds! Not Everyone Knows You're Here

Who doesn't love our winter birds? The juncos, chickadees, and cardinals!! Surprisingly they get over looked by some. As I asked the clerk at a "feed supply store" where they kept the wild bird seed, she looked at me as though I was stupid. She smugly informed me that they did not provide bird seed "out of season" and she went about her business. "Out of season"; I pondered this as I stood dumbfounded. How is bird feeding out of season? The plethora of birds wintering in our area may beg to differ; they are actively still eating at my bird feeder.
Okay, perhaps some people who aren't fond of our feathered friends may not realize the winter variety of birds. Some may not appreciate that the juncos in their yard may be the same ones that were there last year as they return to the same winter grounds each year. I guess that it is possible not to notice the brilliant red of a cardinal against the bright snow. Or hear the chickadee chirps as you pass by. Heck, maybe they don't know birds even exist until they poop on their car. But I just bought seed in this store in the fall and they dedicate an entire isle to birds. They sell food for numerous animals every month of the year. No other animal seems to go "out of season".

So I ask all who read- How do birds go "out of season"??

No comments:

Post a Comment